More than two million medical students, doctors and other health professionals around the globe have owned a copy of Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicine
since it was first published. Now in its 22nd Edition, this textbook
describes the pathophysiology and clinical features of the most
frequently encountered conditions in the major specialties of adult
medicine and explains how to recognise, investigate, diagnose and manage
them. Taking its origins from Sir Stanley Davidson’s much-admired
lecture notes, Davidson’s has endured because it keeps
pace with how modern medicine is taught and provides a wealth of
information in an easy-to-read, concise and beautifully illustrated
format. This book will serve readers everywhere as a core text that
integrates medical science with clinical medicine, conveying key
knowledge and practical advice in a highly accessible and readable
- The opening section describes the fundamentals of
genetics, immunology, infectious diseases and population health, and
discusses the core principles of clinical decision-making and good
- A new second section on emergency and
critical care medicine encompasses poisoning, envenomation and
environmental medicine, and introduces a new chapter on acute medicine
and critical illness.
- The third section covers the
major medical specialties, each thoroughly revised and brought fully up
to date. Two new chapters on maternal and adolescent/transition medicine
complement the one on ageing and disease. A new chapter on medical
ophthalmology has been included.
- Clinical Examination overviews summarise the main elements for each system and now feature in the biochemistry, nutrition and dermatology chapters.
- Presenting Problems sections provide a clear pathway for the assessment of and approach to the most common complaints in each specialty.
- Practice Point summaries detail the practical skills that medical students and junior doctors must acquire.
- Emergency boxes emphasise the core knowledge needed to manage acutely ill patients.
- In Old Age, In Pregnancy and In Adolescence
boxes highlight differences in the practice of medicine in these
patient groups, and illustrate the interfaces between medical, obstetric
and paediatric services.
- The text is extensively illustrated, with over 1000 diagrams, clinical photographs, and radiology and pathology images.
global perspective is enhanced by an International Advisory Board of
experts from 17 countries, and by authors from around the world.
new second section on emergency and critical care medicine introduces a
significantly expanded and comprehensive account of the approaches to
dealing with acute medical and critical illness.
new chapters on maternal and adolescent/transition medicine complement
the one on ageing and disease by addressing problems encountered at key
stages of patients’ lives.
- A new chapter on medical ophthalmology has been included as a direct response to readers’ requests.
opening chapter has been completely rewritten with a new focus on the
important principles of clinical decision-making or clinical reasoning.
new internal text design for this 23rd Edition provides a simpler and
clearer presentation of the various categories of text boxes
There are no inquiries yet.